Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Can You Tell Me Where They've Gone?

Anybody here seen my old friend Daniel?

No? I didn't think so. Senator Moynihan was everything I love about many of the old-time Democrats. And sorely miss in most of the current crop.
"The single most exciting thing you encounter in government is competence, because it's so rare."
First off, he grew up in hard times but worked even harder and achieved greatness. But he always kept a genuine respect and concern for low and middle class working people. He didn't just see them as another special interest group to pander to, but really wanted to get at the root causes of poverty.
"From the wild Irish slums of the 19th century eastern seaboard, to the riot-torn suburbs of Los Angeles, there is one unmistakable lesson in American history: A community that allows a large number of young men to grow up in broken families, dominated by women, never acquiring any stable relationship to male authority, never acquiring any rational expectations about the future -- that community asks for and gets chaos."
Second, he was just so damn intelligent. When I was younger, he seemed so pompous to me, what with his bow ties and the raised eyebrow, prattling on about foreign policy, human rights or welfare reform. Later when I actually heard what he was saying I felt genuinely flattered that many of my own opinions coincided with those held by such a brilliant man.
"Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from birth what conservatives seem to be endowed with at birth: namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of government to do good."
He was a tough guy that seemed to relish debate and didn't back off of his convictions. He often sided with Republicans and defied his own party on issues such as partial birth abortions, welfare reform and was very hard on President Clinton during the Lewinsky mess.

Last, he loved New York and The United States and it galls me no end whenever I catch a glimpse of the carpetbagger opportunist now occupying his seat.

I wonder what he would make of his beloved party today? In the wake of Joe Lieberman primary defeat it's clear that the Democratic Party is going down the tubes. I wonder if Moynihan's soft spoken wit and wisdom could be heard through the hate filled invective that passes for debate nowadays.
"The liberal left can be as rigid and destructive as any force in American life."
Not to say the Republican Party is chock full of genteel giants, but I've always hoped for better in Democrats. I'm tired of voting a straight Republican ticket every election. I love it when my Dad and Mom wheel out their old 8mm movie projecter and get all misty eyed when their home shot footage of Adlai Stevenson or President Kennedy runs. Like many, my Dad a dreamer and union hell-raiser left the Democratic party in 1972 and hasn't looked back.

I'd always associated Republicans with combovers and Cadillacs but in 1980, the first Presidential election I was eligible to vote in Jimmy Carter forced me to become a Republican. I've never written a check out to a candidate but today, despite the fact that I'm a lifelong Californian I decided to send some money and a thank you note to Joe Leiberman.

Thanks Joe for not playing politics with our military or their mission. Thanks for speaking up for traditional values and keeping a little bit of Daniel Patrick Moynihan's spirit burning in a dark place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Nice comment and so, so true. My parents were both Democrats, I alternate between Democrat, Independent and "Oh What The Hell".

So sad that the Democratic Party is so inept and illogical today. Oh, what happened to the good Kennedy's and the strong, capable Democrat? Gone, gone, gone...

11:16 AM  
Blogger Ryoushi said...

"Oh What The Hell" I now what you mean. Thanks for the comment Rita.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home